These are the communication guidelines for the Civiform community, including anyone interested in contributing to the open source project.
- For announcements & recognition → email lists. Why? Emails are accessible and universally used across organizations.
- For tracking work → GitHub. Why? GitHub is our project management tool and should be the source of truth for ongoing work.
- For all other communications → Slack. Why? Slack is accessible across organizations and is useful for immediate conversations.
Google Groups enable people to post and engage in discussion topics via forums or email. Certain Google Groups are also used to manage access to shared documents. All group aliases are @googlegroups.com.
Note: If we find that collaborators at civic entities cannot use Slack, we should reassess this approach.
- Should add descriptions of purpose directly to channels in Slack.
- Use threads to centralize discussions on a particular topic
- Use @channel and @here judiciously
NOTE: If your Google Workspace domain (e.g. google.com) does not allow you to create external documents, use and rename an existing ‘Untitled Document’ in the CiviForm Project Drive.
- Created through civiform.us Google Workspace.
- I have an idea for a feature (“I think we should have an application tracker”)
- I want to report a bug (“This feature isn’t working as expected”)
- I want to follow the status of this Github issue (“what happened with that bug?”)
- I want to discuss this PR (“I have some questions about this PR”) #pull-request-discuss
- I want support on this issue (“I’m looking to pair with someone on this”) #engineering
- I want to get to know other CiviForm contributors (“Who else is working on CiviForm?”) #introductions
- I need eng help (“I’m having problems setting up CiviForm on my local” OR “This software build is broken”) #engineering
- I have questions about CiviForm (“how do Trusted Intermediaries use CiviForm?”) #general
- I want to chat with people who are working with a specific Civic Entity (“We are delayed for x weeks,” or “We need someone to recess the security audit”) #civic-entity
- I have a sensitive escalation (“I found a security issue”)
- I have a non-sensitive escalation (“I have an incident” “Who’s on call?”)
- I want feedback on this document (“I want feedback on this PRD”)
- I want to learn about CiviForm (“What is CiviForm?”)